Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Speak no canto

reality check. I am now convinced that my canto absolutely SUCKS!! big time. after years of trying (at least half heartedly) at improving my tone, i find that i am still at square one.
The first time i had a wake-up call was at Stephen's place. Khai and Steve were playing this game, which for the life of me, i can't remember, and i was standing alongside the both of them spectating. Then they had to do it, go and talk in canto. And like a hero i opened my mouth and uttered some smart comment in my best canto slang. *moment of silence* followed by roars of laughter! At that moment I vowed to better myself in the linguistic department.
that was 5 years ago.
Fast foward to today, 3 hours ago, my new found friend william had to hold back his laughter after i said something in canto.
5 years, and i still get the same reaction!
Why can't i get the tone?
I watch as much hong kong movies as the next bloke. Shaolin soccer, kung fu hussle, aces go places, etc.
ok, not as much, but enough of it to give me a feel of the language. When i talk i dun hear the difference. from now on i'm just going to grin and nod my head whenever my friends have a discourse in canto.
like they say, 'if you dun open your mouth, they dun know you are dumb'
(canto proverb, ironically)

5 Comments:

Blogger CHI YENN said...

and you laugh at Sarah!

*people in glass houses should never throw stones*

hehehe

08 June, 2006 12:43  
Blogger joni lynne said...

ahahahah amen, chi yenn.

but yar, i understand u josh..i can't for the life of me pronounce tamil words!i've tried but it doesnt even sound right to ME! maybe your language is something else, in my case Thai,which yes, sometimes ppl dunno that im not that good until they say some major word and i go "er,what?"

10 June, 2006 02:27  
Blogger Jeremy said...

I know what your real language is.. hehe.. :)

11 June, 2006 20:43  
Blogger Sarah Lim said...

omg YES CHI YENN !!! i was JUST gona say that.. and you laugh at me !!! sheesh man josh.. SHEESHKEBAB!

and my canto is picking up fast ok.. u wait la.. haha

13 June, 2006 23:33  
Blogger Joshi-Porgy said...

ok now i'm regetting this entry

14 June, 2006 12:49  

Post a Comment

<< Home